Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Mentoring: “Private Plein Air Painting Intensive Study” Program Report 2

My output for the week, minus one

I just wrapped up another week of my Paint the Southwest Private Plein Air Painting Intensive Study program.  Hester came from Washington in the Pacific Northwest.  An experienced painter, she joined me the previous week in Sedona for my all-level workshop to see how I work before coming to New Mexico to study with me privately.  Now that this private week has finished, she is on her way to an artist residency at Parashant-Grand Canyon National Monument.



The week was in many ways similar to the week I reported on in my first post on the program, which you can read about here in detail.  We painted a great deal, talked much about art issues and enjoyed excellent weather.  The difference, however, was the focus on business—Hester wants to get better at marketing and thus selling her work.  I enjoyed helping her with creating an action plan for the near future.




All landscape painters enjoy nature when out in the field, but sometimes you have a special moment.  One day at the lake, besides the coots, mallards and herons that have lately returned, for the first time I saw a flock of snow geese.  They were pure elegance as they flew from one end of the lake to the other, feeding.  My camera couldn't capture them, but we both enjoyed watching them.  I could write about many such special moments here, but I will leave you with a few photos from the week.

Hester painting at the El Calderon lava tubes.  She's an
experienced caver and well knows the dangers of caving
as well as how to protect the environment.



By the way, if you are an experienced artist looking for this kind of one-on-one, intense experience, please take a look at my Paint the Southwest website at www.PaintTheSouthwest.com.  I am already taking registrations for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019.  I have a lot to offer, and I would like to help you reach the next level in your painting.

Time for a Hike - 8x16 oil - Available
(Ramah Lake)
by Michael Chesley Johnson

Up the Lake - 5.5 x 10.75 oil - Available
(Ramah Lake)
by Michael Chesley Johnson

Beautiful Canyon - 9x12 oil - Available
(Bonita Canyon)
by Michael Chesley Johnson

Ponderosa - 9x12 oil - Available
(Ramah Lake)
by Michael Chesley Johnson

Entrance - 8x10 oil - Available
(El Calderon Lava Tubes)
by Michael Chesley Johnson

Rock Top 1 - 6x8 oil - Available
(El Morro National Monument)
by Michael Chesley Johnson

Rock Top 2 - 6x8 oil - Available
(El Morro National Monument)
by Michael Chesley Johnson