Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Alkyds Again

"Kolob Canyon Snow" 12x24, oil

We are due to leave Sedona for Campobello Island this weekend, but I wanted to get one last painting in before cleaning up the studio and packing. I felt like doing a large studio piece that I could put in our new workshop space. Because the space will be open to the public this winter (read on!), the painting needed to be dry enough by the weekend to avoid being damaged - and that meant using alkyds. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am now using Gamblin's FastMatte colors.

The scene, by the way, is from the Kolob Canyons section of Zion National Park. I really liked that little triangle of snow between the cliffs, and I took many photos of it while we were there.

A moment ago, I promised to talk about the new workshop space. Pumphouse Studio Gallery (www.PumphouseStudioGallery.com) will be my winter studio and workshop space. What about summers? you ask. It'll be the studio of Gerry Quotskuyva, a noted Hopi sculptor. I'm very happy to have Gerry holding down the fort while we are gone! He's in major art collections across the country. The painting above will be at Pumphouse this summer, and Gerry will direct interested parties to Windrush Gallery down the street. Windrush represents me in the Southwest, so if you're interested in "Kolob Canyon Snow," please contact John there at 800-323-0115.

My next post will be from on the road. First stop, Santa Fe!