Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Guerrilla Painter's Notebook by Carl Judson

Carl Judson is the original guerrilla painter. While managing a cattle ranch in Colorado back in the early 80s, he began to paint. He says, "No sooner had I taken up my newfound pastime than it dawned on me that the last thing I wanted was to have one of my cowboys catch me in the act." Over time, he developed a little pochade box so he could paint on the sly. "It worked great - none of the ranch hands found out my secret." The rest is history, of course, and today we have the Guerrilla Painter Box and a whole line of products that make life easier for the plein air painter.

Over the years, Carl has traveled a bit - Bermuda, Central and South America, Maine, California and elsewhere - taking his box with him. I always enjoy hearing about another painter's adventures and discoveries, and also a little bit of technical talk, too. This is exactly what I found in his new book, A Guerrilla Painter's Notebook, which collects fourteen of his essays. It's a pleasant and informative read, and I especially enjoyed his essays on alternative surfaces for oils and lunch hour in Bolivia. While everyone else in town was engaged in a siesta, he was busy - painting. I'm looking forward to the next volume.

A Guerrilla Painter's Notebook by Carl Judson. 30 pages, 83 images. $6 includes shipping and handling. Order from: http://www.carljudson.com/gpnotebook.htm.