Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Buildings as Blocks of Color


"Spirit Room"
5x7, pastel

Students who haven't painted much architecture sometimes get lost in all the details buildings present - the mullions in the windows, the bricks in the walls, the bundles of powerlines arcing overhead. I like to think of buildings as just blocks of color. This allows me to take a broad, painterly approach, and I can always add in as much detail as I wish toward the end.

Imagine the scene as a flat, abstract pattern of shapes. Examine the relationships between high-value, warm (sunlit) surfaces and low-value, cool (shadowed) surfaces; note the quality of the edges made by adjacent color-shapes (walls and windows); and don't worry about perspective at this point, but do get the angles you see right.

This is how I painted "Spirit Room,"an old bar in Jerome, Arizona. This is a building of the flatiron variety, which can present some complex perspective issues, especially in a town like Jerome, which sits perched on a 30-degree mountainside. After using the method I describe above, I felt I hadn't observed some of the angles accurately enough, so the next day I made some minor adjustments in perspective. Also, I added the little window below street level on the bottom right; without it, the viewer would have a hard time understanding what was going on there.


(Photo by Tom Willa)