Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, November 7, 2008

Oil & Water Don't Mix

After spending several days working on tight-deadline magazine articles, I decided I really needed to get out today to paint, even if just for a few minutes. We had over an inch of rain in the last 24 hours, and this afternoon the rain abated. I even saw a sunny break in the clouds. So, I picked up the gear and headed out.

I got about 30 minutes into this 5x7, almost near the end, when a light rain began to fall. It didn't take long for both palette and panel to be fairly drizzled with water. (I didn't take the umbrella.) I began to experience severe adhesion problems. The brush was actually lifting off paint and leaving white spots - everywhere! I ended up bringing the painting into the studio to finish. I had to hold it over a hot lamp for a few minutes to dry off the water first. The painting is below.

By the way, please don't forget the Holiday Sale, now going through November 24. If you missed the post, please click here. My new book is also out, and you can click here for that post.

"November Drizzle"
5x7, oil, en plein air