Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, May 7, 2007

Wind Over the Grand Manan Channel

Well, we're still waiting for spring here in the Canadian Maritimes. The grass is growing, but the apple trees and lilacs have yet to bloom. I'm especially anxious to paint these! For the time being, however, we've had some typical, changeable, springtime weather. I went out to Con Robinson's Point, in the Roosevelt-Campobello International Park, and painted the view across the Channel to Grand Manan Island. It was a very windy day with whitecaps on the water, and the sunlight dropping through the fast-moving clouds illuminated the water with a fascinating, greenish light.

This was one of those very simple compositions that works well with the knife. I had large areas of analogous colours to lay in. I used the knife exclusively on this one. The painting is still wet, so I have it on my "viewing mantle". You can see the tips of the little Lucite stand at the bottom.

"Wind Over the Grand Manan Channel" 8x10, oil/panel, en plein air. (As always, you can click on the image for a larger version.)